APPLE & SAUSAGE STUFFED ACORN SQUASH (WHOLE30, PALEO)
These Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash are Paleo, Whole30, gluten-free, dairy-free, and full of flavor! These make a wonderful meal prep option for the fall or winter. Each acorn squash is stuffed with savory sausage, caramelized onions, sweet apple, celery and fresh herbs. If you’ve never had acorn squash, it’s one of my favorites (though I love all the squashes!). It’s not as sweet as butternut squash, but richer in flavor than spaghetti squash.
Did you know? One cup of acorn squash contains 22% of your daily requirement for magnesium, a mineral that an estimated 60% of Americans aren’t getting enough of (source).
The first step is to select three medium acorn squash with hard, dry stems, indicating they’re ripe. Wash and cut each one in half, scooping out the seeds. Then rub the insides with ghee (can also use vegan buttery spread or avocado oil) and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake them for about 25-30 minutes until slightly softened to the touch.
While the squashes cook, brown some all-natural chicken sausage with the onion and garlic in more ghee (you want the raw sausage that comes in a roll). Feel free to use vegan sausage, lean turkey or pork sausage instead! Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion caramelizes and the sausage is cooked through.
Then, add your chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegan), apple, celery, and pecans for a little crunch (or use walnuts). Last but not least, add fresh sage and thyme, about one tablespoon of each. If using dry spices, use one teaspoon of each (rosemary would be good too!).
Once the squash halves are fork-tender, remove them from the oven, turn them over, and fill to overflowing with the sausage and apple mixture. If the cavities aren’t deep enough, you can hollow them out a little with a spoon. Finally, place the stuffed squashes back into the oven for about 10 minutes (this just browns the edges a little more).
That’s it! These can be reheated in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. They’re perfect for a week’s worth of delicious meals or for a festive dinner party.
Here’s the printable recipe for these Sausage & Apple Stuffed Acorn Squash! I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try it 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Apple & Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash (Whole30, Paleo)
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 1 tbsp. ghee* divided
- 24 oz. lean chicken sausage* I used Isernio’s brand
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced thin
- 1 tbsp. (3 cloves) garlic minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth*
- 1 1/2 cups apple chopped
- 1 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh sage*
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme*
- 1/3 cup pecans* chopped (optional)
*See above for substitutions.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and cut each squash in half, scooping out the seeds.
- Rub insides with one teaspoon of ghee (or spray with cooking spray) and place cut-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes until squash is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, sauté sausage with onion and garlic over medium heat with remaining 2 teaspoons of ghee and chicken broth.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is caramelized and sausage is cooked through.
- Add broth, apple, celery, herbs, and pecans (optional), stirring to combine.
- Once the squash is done, remove from oven, and fill with the halves with sausage mixture. Turn up oven to broil and cook another 5-10 minutes or so until edges are golden brown (optional).
- Enjoy warm or save leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog
This Pumpkin Chip Protein Bread has a rich, tender texture full of pumpkin spice and chocolate chips (no dry protein bread here). The kids and I can't get enough! Best of all, it's gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and easily made egg-free and vegan.