HEALTHY EGG & SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
This Healthy Egg & Sausage Casserole is dairy-free and super convenient for busy mornings! Just reheat in the microwave for a minute or two and you’ve got a hot breakfast of savory sausage, fluffy eggs, sweet potato, and whatever veggies you like (I went with peppers and onion). You might also like my Bacon Spinach & Potato Egg Casserole!
Did you know? One study showed a breakfast of eggs kept participants fuller and helped them eat less for the next 36 hours compared to a bagel breakfast with the same number of calories! (source) Eggs are definitely a satisfying and nutritious breakfast choice.
I always choose “organic” or “free range” eggs. “Organic” means the hens have access to the outdoors, cannot be kept in cages, and must be given organic, non-GMO feed. “Free range” requires the chickens to have free access to the outdoors, but places no restrictions on antibiotic use or the quality of feed. “Cage free” doesn’t mean the hens are allowed outside to forage, it just means the can move around freely within the barn or shed.
For this recipe, you’ll also need lean turkey sausage, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, onion, unsweetened cashew milk, sea salt, and pepper. I happened to have some extra baked sweet potato cubes leftover from another meal, but you can also bake your diced sweet potato at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Or microwave for 10 minutes with a splash of water if you’re in a hurry!
You can also swap out the sweet potato for regular potatoes, the sausage for turkey bacon, and the bell pepper for mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, or another veggie of choice.
If you’re not dairy-free, feel free to add a cup and a half of cheese on top before baking – or replace the egg whites and unsweetened cashew milk with low fat cottage cheese!
Here’s the printable recipe for this Healthy Egg & Sausage Casserole. I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try it 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Healthy Egg & Sausage Casserole
- 16 oz. sweet potato diced
- 16 oz. lean turkey sausage cooked
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 8 large whole eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup (4 large) egg whites or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup unsweetened casshew milk or cottage cheese
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- For the sweet potatoes, either bake at 375 F for 30 minutes or microwave for 5 minutes.
- Lightly coat the bottom of a 11"x17" casserole dish with cooking spray, and spread potatoes over the bottom.
- Brown turkey sausage and spread over top sweet potatoes.
- Add chopped bell pepper and onion over top potatoes.
- Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, and spices; pour over veggies.
- If adding, sprinkle cheese evenly over top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until egg mixture is set in the middle and edges are golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then either serve or refrigerate to enjoy later! Leftovers will keep in the fridge up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.