PEANUT BUTTER BANANA PROTEIN BREAD
I love banana bread, and I love bananas with peanut butter… so this Healthy Peanut Butter Banana Protein Bread just needed to happen! It’s super moist with a hint of cinnamon, and packed with protein while being relatively low in fat. But most importantly, it’s absolutely delicious. So delicious, after one slice you just have to go back for another! This irresistible bread is also gluten-free, low-fat, and high in protein – perfect for a post workout treat.
To a a healthy dose of muscle-building protein to this bread, I used Quest Nutrition Protein Powder in Cinnamon Crunch. A vanilla-flavored protein would work too! Very important to note this is a whey blend containing 60% whey isolate and about 40% casein protein. I do not recommend using 100% pure whey isolate in this recipe as it may dry out the bread or give it a weird texture. Whey concentrate, soy isolate, or a vegan protein blend should also work. You just may need to adjust the amount of liquid to get a thick, spreadable dough.
For the flour, I used gluten-free baking flour since my husband is gluten-intolerant. You can also use all-purpose flour, brown rice flour, cake flour, cassava flour (Paleo), sorghum flour, spelt flour, or whole wheat pastry flour. If you want to lower the carbs, you can try substituting half as much coconut flour. Or, if you don’t have flour, you can also blend oats into a fine flour!
To add just the right amount of sweetness, I used my favorite organic stevia blend that’s twice as sweet as sugar with no aftertaste! If subbing granulated sugar, granulated erythritol, baking stevia, or monk fruit sweetener; you may need up to twice as much sweetener (half a cup). If using stevia extract or drops, please refer to the brand-specific conversion chart!
The only other ingredients (besides baking soda) are bananas, yogurt, egg whites, and peanut butter! I recommend using black speckled bananas for the best flavor. Greenish yellow or black mushy bananas are not ideal.
The yogurt is only there to increase the protein a little bit and lower the carbs. Substitute another speckled banana for a slightly richer and higher carb version 😉
If you can’t have eggs, you can use one-quarter cup of warm water with two tablespoons of ground flaxseed. Alternatively, you could use a vegan egg replacer product.
Last but not least, I used natural creamy peanut butter for just the right amount of peanut butter flavor. You can also use any flavored peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter (will react with baking soda and turn inside of loaf green).
Feel free to drizzle more nut or seed butter on top like I did!
Here’s the recipe for this Peanut Butter Banana Protein Bread! I know you guys will love it. I’d love for you to rate and comment below if you try it! 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Bread
- 2/3 cup (80g) cinnamon or vanilla protein powder* such as whey-casein blend, whey concentrate, or soy isolate
- 1/2 cup (65g) gluten-free baking flour* or all-purpose flour or oat flour
- 1/4 cup calorie-free sweetener* I used one that's twice as sweet as sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon optional
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt optional
- 1 cup (2 medium) ripe speckled bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt* or another banana
- 1/4 cup (2 large) egg white* or 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed + 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter* or any nut or seed butter
*See more substitutions in the blog post above.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in mashed bananas and remaining ingredients (through peanut butter) and mix until just combined (over-mixing will result in a less tender texture).
- Lightly coat a bread pan with cooking spray or line with parchment and pour/spoon batter in.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean (cupcakes should only need 25-35 minutes).
- Enjoy drizzled with more peanut butter if desired (not included in nutrition facts)!
- Freeze leftovers for up to one month. Simply microwave for 1 minute to thaw.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.