SAUSAGE GRAVY EGG CASSEROLE (WHOLE30)
Pictures just don’t do justice to how delicious this casserole is! I somehow hacked a Paleo, Whole30 sausage gravy that tasted just like Cracker Barrel sausage gravy. If you’ve never eaten there, just know it’s creamy, savory, breakfast heaven! Layered beneath is a layer of hash browns topped with fluffy mixture of eggs, ghee, and green onions.
Did you know? Studies show that replacing a grain-based breakfast with eggs can help you eat fewer calories for the next 36 hours plus lose more weight and body fat! (source)
My husband said it’s the best casserole I’ve ever made, though I have to give credit to 40 Aprons for the idea. I did go a different route with the gravy. Her recipe calls for cashews and arrowroot powder, but I used unsweetened cashew milk and tapioca flour (which is the same as “tapioca starch”). I also left out the garlic powder, and used sautéed onions instead of onion powder. Finally, I added some egg whites to the egg mixture to up the protein and lower the fat content (more macro-friendly).
For the sausage, I used all-natural Isernio’s chicken breakfast sausage which is low in fat and big on flavor. It also has almost no added sugar! By “almost” I mean there’s like 1.3 grams in the entire two pounds I used. I know, not technically Whole30-compliant since “cane sugar” is in the ingredients list, but in my opinion, it’s negligible. You could also use a Whole-30 compliant turkey or pork sausage though!
For the hash brown base, you can either used frozen or fresh hash browns, or shred your own potatoes from scratch! I will say, if using frozen, just be sure to layer your casserole dish with one pound of the hash and let it thaw. Otherwise, your base won’t get golden brown underneath. I also greased my casserole dish with ghee to help them brown.
Here’s the printable recipe! I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try it 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Sausage Gravy Egg Casserole (Whole30)
- 1 lb. hash browns fresh or frozen
- 2 lbs. lean breakfast sausage*
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour*
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk*
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 9 whole eggs
- 1 cup 8 large egg whites
- 3 stalks green onions chopped
*See above for substitutions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9″x13″ casserole dish with ghee and spread hash browns out over the bottom of the dish (frozen hash browns need to thaw before cooking).
- Brown sausage and onion in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle with tapioca flour, stirring to coat.
- Add cashew milk and pepper, stirring and simmering over medium-low heat until thickened.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and green onions in a medium mixing bowl.
- Spread sausage gravy over top hash browns, then pour egg mixture over that.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until lightly browned on edges.
- Once slightly cool, cut into 9 pieces and either serve hot or store in meal prep containers to enjoy throughout the week.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.