SOUTHWEST SAUSAGE QUICHE
Every now and then I make something my husband is obsessed with. He’ll ask me to make it for weeks in a row until I actually get sick of making it for him and kindly say, “Honey, it’s time for a change.” This Southwest Sausage Quiche is one of those recipes! I adapted it from Well Girl‘s Breakfast Sausage Quiche recipe… it’s just too good to have only once. Not to mention, it’s macro-friendly, meal prep-friendly, and budget-friendly!
What kind of tortillas to use?
It all starts with flour tortillas. We like these organic tortillas, but you can also use low carb tortillas. You can even use Paleo tortillas! Any fajita or taco-sized tortillas will work, it just depends on what you’re looking for. I’ll post the nutrition info for both the organic and the low carb at the bottom of this page.
I do not recommend using corn tortillas as they don’t fold well and break easier.
What kind of sausage to use?
Again, you can use whatever kind of breakfast sausage suits your needs. A raw sausage roll works better than pre-cooked links or patties. We like lean natural turkey sausage to keep the fats down, but you could also use pork or chicken sausage!
We do look for poultry raised with “no antibiotics ever” or “organic” when possible.
How to make the quiche
You’re going to take a 8″ or 9″ cake pan and lightly coat it with cooking spray. Arrange four tortillas in your pan so they overlap in the bottom and overhang the sides just slightly (as shown in the photo below).
Next, brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat with a little cooking spray. In the same pan, sauté onions until translucent and peppers until tender. Layer sausage and peppers over the tortillas in the bottom of your cake pan. Then, beat together eggs, egg whites, plus a half cup of cheese and pour over top.
Sprinkle with a bit more cheese (last photo above), and place in oven preheated to 375 degrees F. Bake for 40-45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on top. I usually make cook two quiches for my husband, which cook for about 45-50 minutes.
Let quiche cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from pan. Cut into six equal-sized pieces and enjoy hot or cold! It’s delicious either way 🙂
Here’s the printable recipe for this Southwest Sausage Quiche with nutrition facts!
This post contains affiliate links.
Southwest Sausage Quiche
- 4 medium flour tortillas* fajita or taco-sized
- 5 oz. lean turkey breakfast sausage* precooked or raw
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup bell pepper chopped
- 2 small jalapeños chopped (optional)
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1 cup (8 large) egg whites
- 3/4 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese divided
*See blog post above for more substitutions.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly coat an 8″ or 9″ cake pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange four tortillas in pan so they overlap on the bottom and overhang the sides just slightly. Press into corners to seal.
- Next, brown sausage in a skillet over medium-high heat with a little cooking spray. If using raw sausage, cook until there is no pink left. Layer sausage at the bottom of tortilla-lined pan.
- Add onions and peppers (including jalapeños if desired) to the same skillet with a bit more cooking spray. Sauté until onions are translucent and peppers are tender.
- Layer sautéed veggies over sausage and tortillas.
- Next, beat together eggs, egg whites, plus a half cup of cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over sautéed veggies, sausage, and tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and place in preheat oven, uncovered.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Let quiche cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from pan and cutting into six pieces.
- Enjoy hot or cold! Store in the fridge in an airtight container.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.