SOUTHWEST STEAK SALAD
This Southwest Steak Salad has been a favorite for years! I mean, it’s hard not to love a salad with steak involved 😉 I recently realized how horrific the old blog photos were so decided this recipe deserved an update. I am also including my favorite homemade ranch recipe, but you can totally use store-bought yogurt ranch if you prefer.
So yes, I used lean grass-fed beef! I recommend sirloin tip, skirt steak, top sirloin, top or bottom round. You’re going to marinate it in lime juice, minced garlic, chili powder, and salt for at least half an hour or overnight. Then either grill it outside or use a cast iron pan to get a nice sear.
For the salad, I used organic romaine lettuce (feel free to switch it up), black beans, sweet corn, mini sweet peppers, green onion, and avocado. Be sure to add the avocado just before serving so it doesn’t turn brown!
For the dressing, I used a nonfat plain Greek yogurt base, but you can totally use plain dairy-free yogurt if needed, or use full fat Greek yogurt for a creamier dressing. Again, store-bought works too but typically has a lot of artificial additives I’m not fond of.
I often meal prep these salads by separating all the ingredients (except the avocado and dressing) into sealable containers. When it’s time to eat, I just add my avocado and dressing! You can also wash and cut the veggies for quicker prep on the spot.
Here’s the printable recipe for this favorite Southwest Steak Salad recipe! I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try it 🙂
This post contains affiliate links.
Southwest Steak Salad
- 24 oz. lean top round beef
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 cups romaine lettuce*
- 1 1/2 cup sweet corn drained
- 1 1/2 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup mini sweet peppers chopped
- 1 1/2 cup avocado cubed
- 6 tbsp. green onion chopped
Ranch dressing (can use store-bought):
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt*
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
*See above for substitutions.
- Marinate steak in lime juice, garlic, chili, and salt for at least 30 minutes or overnight. Either grill until cooked to desired doneness and then slice thin; or sear in a cast iron skillet for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Wash and cut vegetables, then divide between six meal prep containers using 1 cup lettuce, ¼ cup each sweet corn, black beans, and peppers; then top each with 1 tbsp. green onion.
- Combine ingredients for ranch dressing (or use store-bought) and store separately in fridge in an airtight container.
- When ready to eat, top salad with ¼ cup cubed avocado and 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. dressing. Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Blog
This Pumpkin Chip Protein Bread has a rich, tender texture full of pumpkin spice and chocolate chips (no dry protein bread here). The kids and I can't get enough! Best of all, it's gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and easily made egg-free and vegan.