SUMMER BERRY CHICKEN SALAD
Summer is for sitting poolside, road tripping, and fresh salads – like this Summer Berry Chicken Salad! When the weather gets hot I crave salads almost daily, so expect many salad recipes to come 😉 This Summer Berry Chicken Salad has heaps of fresh organic baby spinach, organic blueberries and strawberries, goat cheese, chopped walnuts, and naturally raised chicken, drizzled with homemade poppyseed vinaigrette!
Did you know? Strawberries and blueberries are some of the most antioxidant-rich fruits you can eat! I love to buy my berries and organic mixed greens bulk from Costco. It’s hard to beat their deals and our family eats a lot, so the sizes are perfect.
How to pan grill chicken
The chicken is pan-fried with avocado oil, kosher salt, black pepper, and garlic powder. You can use ghee or grass-fed butter, too! The key is to preheat the oil or butter in your skillet over medium heat, before adding your chicken. I like to use thin-cut chicken breasts, but you can also pound regular chicken breasts flat using a meat mallet with a sheet of plastic wrap over top. Place thin breasts in preheated skillet over medium heat for 5-6 minutes on the first side, without moving. Let the underside get nice and brown, then cook another 4-5 minutes on the second side. That’s it! I always let my chicken cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing for a cleaner cut.
The goat cheese is optional but definitely recommended! As a cheese affectionado, I’ll easily admit it’s my favorite part of this salad. The walnuts add a nice crunchy accent and are rich in anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
The homemade poppyseed dressing couldn’t be simpler! Just whisk together plain yogurt (can use dairy-free), honey, white vinegar (can use cider vinegar), salt and pepper to taste, and black poppyseeds.
Here’s the printable recipe for my Summer Berry Chicken Salad! I’d love for you to rate and comment below if you try it 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Summer Berry Chicken Salad
- 8 oz. raw boneless skinless chicken breast grilled
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cups mixed greens
- 2/3 cup fresh strawberries sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup goat cheese optional
- 3 tbsp. walnuts chopped
Homemade poppyseed dressing:
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt can use dairy-free
- 2 tsp. honey
- 2 tsp. white vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. poppyseeds
- 1/8 tsp. salt optional
- Dash white pepper optional
- Preheat avocado oil in a skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, slice chicken in half centerwise to make two thinner halves, or pound thin with a meat mallet (be sure to cover in cling wrap to avoid splatter).
- Place chicken in preheated skillet and season with garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Cook on the first side 5-6 minutes (without moving) until nice and brown, then flip and cook another 4-5 minutes on the second side. Set aside to cool 10-15 minutes, then slice.
- Add dressing ingredients to a mason jar or other sealed container and shake to combine.
- Place a heaping handful of mixed greens on each plate (or in each meal prep container), then top with 3 oz. grilled chicken, 1/3 cup sliced strawberries, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 1/2 tbsp. walnuts, and 2 tbsp. goat cheese.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette right when ready to eat. Enjoy! Leftover salad will keep in fridge up to a week in a sealed container with dressing stored separate.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.