BACON FETA & SWEET POTATO EGG CASSEROLE
Oh my gosh you guys – this Bacon Feta & Sweet Potato Egg Casserole tastes incredible! I made a double-batch for the hubby’s meal prep, but of course, I sliced myself a little piece to try, too. It was downright mouthwatering! I love how the savory bacon and feta complement the sweet flavor of the potatoes and the earthy flavor of the greens. This egg casserole is good enough to serve at a fancy brunch, or to portion out for a week of breakfasts. I promise, you won’t get sick of this anytime soon! You might also like my Sausage Gravy Egg Casserole 😉
Dairy free option
This recipe does contain cottage cheese and feta, however you could totally substitute one cup of dairy-free ricotta, vegan parmesan, vegan cheddar, or nutritional yeast. That cheesy factor is a must so if you can’t have dairy I would definitely substitute one of these alternatives 😉
Sweet potato alternatives
For some healthy carbs, I added roasted sweet potato chunks. You could honestly use an kind of potato, but the sweet potato is absolutely delicious so I strongly encourage you to try! Acorn squash, butternut squash, and kabocha squash would also be delicious in this.
The bacon I used is Applegate Naturals Uncured Turkey Bacon, but you can use any bacon you like (or leave it out for a vegetarian version). Uncured bacon doesn’t have the sodium nitrite or artificial additives that commercial bacon does, so even if I do pork bacon I still look for “uncured” on the package. You could also use breakfast sausage if you’re wanting to switch things up!
For extra antioxidants and micronutrients, I tossed in some sautéed onion, spinach, kale, and Swiss chard. Feel free to add any veggies you like! This recipe is seriously hard to mess up! I could imagine shallots, mushrooms, zucchini, peppers, or even asparagus in this casserole.
Last but not least, I used a combination of black pepper, garlic powder, and nutmeg to kick the flavor up a notch. You might be skeptical of the nutmeg, but trust me, it makes the dish. Don’t leave it out.
Okay now, here’s the recipe for this Bacon Feta & Sweet Potato Egg Casserole… I’d love your comments below if you try it!
This post contains affiliate links.
Bacon Feta & Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
- 1 lb. (2 medium) sweet potatoes* diced
- 8 slices natural turkey bacon* cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup onion* chopped
- 3 cups fresh spinach* kale or Swiss chard
- 1 cup 2% cottage cheese* or dairy-free ricotta
- 1 cup (8 large) egg whites or 4 whole eggs
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 oz. (1/2 cup) crumbled feta cheese optional
*See blog post above for more substitutions.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash, peel and dice sweet potato, then bake for 30-40 minutes. You can do this ahead of time or use leftovers from meal prep.
- Lightly coat a 9"x13" casserole dish with cooking spray or buttery spread.
- Layer baked sweet potato chunks on the bottom of the dish.
- Meanwhile, pan-fry bacon in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until browned and crispy. Set aside.
- Next, sauté onion in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat until translucent, then add greens and sauté until wilted. Set aside.
- Blend together cottage cheese (or dairy-free ricotta), egg whites, and whole eggs either in a blender or a large bowl using a hand mixer or whisk.
- Add crisp bacon, sautéed veggies, and spices to egg mixture, stirring to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over roasted sweet potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over top (optional).
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 40-50 minutes until set.
- Enjoy warm or cold! Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.