BLUEBERRY COLLAGEN PROTEIN MUFFINS (PALEO)
These bakery-style Blueberry Collagen Protein Muffins make the perfect breakfast or snack on the run! Think crumbly, moist, and chock full of juicy blueberries. They’re also Paleo, high in protein and fiber, and low in sugar! I love collagen muffins so much I’ve made multiple versions: White Chocolate Raspberry, Pumpkin Chip, Sweet Potato Orange, Lemon Poppyseed, Chocolate Cherry, and Banana Nut!
Did you know? Bringing healthy snack options makes it easier to avoid convenient junk food when you’re on the go. Pack snacks that are rich in protein and fiber to keep you full, and that you actually enjoy!
To up the protein, I used LIV Body Marine Collagen, which is more bioavailable than beef collagen (use discount code “NOEXCUSES” for 20% off all LIV Body products, including their skin and hair care!). If you don’t have collagen, you can sub half as much (45 grams) of a whey blend or plant-based protein powder. You simply can’t use as much of these other protein powders without ruining the texture of baked goods. That’s why I prefer collagen!
You can also swap the collagen protein for six tablespoons (45 grams) of all-purpose flour, gluten-free baking flour, buckwheat flour, cassava flour, oat flour, spelt flour, sweet white sorghum flour, or white whole wheat flour.
To make these muffins Paleo, I used a combination of cassava flour and coconut flour, which works so great with the collagen! If you don’t have these specific flours, you can substitute the cassava flour for an equal measure of all-purpose flour, gluten-free baking flour, buckwheat flour, oat flour, spelt flour, sweet white sorghum flour, or white whole wheat flour. You can swap the coconut flour for twice as much (1 cup) of any of the aforementioned flours.
To sweeten these Blueberry Collagen Protein Muffins, I used Pyure Organic Stevia Blend, an all-natural calorie-free sweetener that’s twice as sweet as sugar. Truvia Spoonable Natural Sweetener is almost identical. If you’re using a sweetener that measures 1:1 like sugar, you’ll need twice as much (erythritol, baking stevia, monk fruit sweetener, or coconut sugar).
One thing about collagen baked goods is you always need extra eggs or added binders to hold them together. Because of this, I used more egg white than you’d see in most muffin recipes. If you can’t have eggs, use two flax eggs in their place (2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed soaked in five tablespoons of warm water).
Creamy almond butter adds moisture and richness to these blueberry collagen muffins, but three tablespoons of oil or butter will also work. The unsweetened applesauce can also be substituted for oil or butter.
Last but not least, I added some pure vanilla extract for richer flavor and frozen blueberries (that’s what I had on hand, but fresh would also work).
Here’s the printable recipe for these blueberry collagen protein muffins! I hope you’ll rate this recipe and comment below if you try them 🙂
This post contains affiliate links and is sponsored by LIV Body.
Blueberry Collagen Protein Muffins (Paleo)
- 3/4 cup (90g) unflavored collagen protein powder* I used LIV Body marine collgen, code "NOEXCUSES" for 20% off
- 1/2 cup gluten-free baking flour*
- 1/2 cup coconut flour*
- 1/2 cup calorie-free sweetener* I used one that's twice as sweet as sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt optional
- 1/2 cup (4 large) egg whites*
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk*
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce*
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
*See above for substitutions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through salt) in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients (through vanilla) and mix until just combined.
- Gently stir in blueberries.
- Divide batter between six wells of a well-greased muffin pan (or use parchment paper liners).
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick or knife inserted comes out clean (if using whey protein, check at 20 minutes; if using collagen or vegan protein check at 25 minutes).
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.