COLLAGEN CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE (OR BROWNIE!)
Every now and then a girl just needs chocolate! Luckily, this Collagen Chocolate Mug Cake cooks in just 1 minute and can be customized to the craving of the moment! Whether you’re wanting a moist, decadent chocolate cake… or a rich, gooey brownie… this recipe goes either way! Enjoy your #dailychocolate however you fancy with a dose of beauty-boosting collagen protein. This mug cake is gluten-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free, too!
Did you know? Daily collagen supplementation has been shown to significantly improve skin elasticity and moisture, even reduce wrinkles! (source)
What type of collagen?
For the collagen, I used LIV Body Marine Collagen. It’s a clean, highly bioavailable source of type I collagen (beneficial for gut health and anti-aging). Use discount code “NOEXCUSES” for 20% off all LIV Body products! I have not tested anything besides collagen and I honestly don’t recommend doing so! Using whey, casein, or plant-based protein is going to completely change the texture and flavor.
Keep in mind, using a different flour may change the texture slightly. For lower carbs, try using half as much coconut flour. I haven’t tried it in this specific recipe, but it’s worked in other mug cake recipes!
To sweeten this mug cake, I used a granulated monk fruit sweetener that measures like sugar. Feel free to use baking stevia or granulated erythritol instead! Keep in mind, if using a sweetener that’s twice as sweet as sugar (like Pyure or Truvia), you’ll only need one tablespoon instead of two. You can also use coconut sugar, but this will increase the calories, carbs, and added sugar.
This recipe also calls for unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, cashew butter, almond milk (any milk will work), egg white, and pure vanilla extract. If you don’t have cashew butter, feel free to substitute almond butter, sunflower seed butter, or two teaspoons of avocado oil or coconut oil.
For the brownie version, leave the egg white out and subtract one tablespoon of flour. For a fall-apart tender cake, sub the tablespoon of egg white for a tablespoon of additional milk.
For the brownie version, add those chocolate chips right into the batter for extra melty goodness. Sooo yummy!
Here’s the recipe for this Collagen Chocolate Mug Cake (or Brownie)! I hope you’ll comment below if you try it 🙂
This post contains affiliate links and is sponsored by LIV Body.
Collagen Chocolate Mug Cake (or Brownie)
- 2 tbsp. (18g) gluten-free baking flour* use only 1 tbsp. for brownie
- 2 tbsp. (15g) unflavored collagen protein I used LIV Body Marine Collagen, use code "NOEXCUSES" for 20% off
- 2 tbsp. calorie-free sweetener* I used granulated monk fruit
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened almond milk* or any milk
- 1 tbsp. cashew butter* or any nut or seed butter
- 1 tbsp. egg white* omit for brownie
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract optional
- 1 tbsp. dairy-free chocolate chips optional
- Generously coat the inside of a mug with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour (use only 1 tbsp. for brownie), collagen, sweetener, cocoa, and baking powder.
- Add milk, cashew butter, egg white (omit for brownie), and vanilla, mixing until no clumps remain.
- Stir in chocolate chips for brownie version.
- Spoon batter into mug and microwave for 1 minute at 1000W (check your microwave wattage and adjust accordingly).
- For the cake frosting (optional), microwave 1 additional tbsp. milk for 30 seconds then combine with 1 tbsp. chocolate chips to make a ganache. Spread over top your cake and enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.