GINGERBREAD PROTEIN DONUTS (VEGAN)
These vegan Gingerbread Protein Donuts were first on my holiday baking list! Besides the fact I am obsessed with donuts, I can’t get enough of the rich gingerbread flavor and sugar free buttercream icing. They also just so happen to be low sugar, high protein, gluten-free, and of course dairy-free. I’m already considering making another batch!
Did you know? Molasses is a rich source of iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and selenium. It also just so happens to be one of the lowest sugar natural syrups you can use!
For the protein powder, I used LIV Body Lean Vegan Protein in Snickerdoodle flavor (one of my favorites!). I love that this brand uses no artificial ingredients, has a great amino acid profile, and still tastes amazing! Use my code NOEXCUSES for 20% off all LIV Body products 😉
If you don’t have this particular brand, any plant based protein powder should work so long as you like the flavor! I’ve found many vegan protein powders taste chalky or gritty (yuck). If using whey or casein, you may need to reduce the amount of water to get a thick dough.
For that classic gingerbread taste, I used a generous measure of ground ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Molasses is a must if you want authentic gingerbread flavor! I used unsulphured full-flavor molasses. To keep the sugar content down, I also added my favorite organic stevia blend (calorie-free and twice as sweet as sugar). If using baking stevia, granulated erythritol or regular sugar, you will need to use twice as much to get the same amount of sweetness.
For rich moisture without too much fat, I used a combination of unsweetened applesauce and vegan buttery spread. Feel free to use pumpkin in place of the applesauce, and unsalted butter, ghee or coconut oil in place of the buttery spread.
The frosting for these gingerbread protein donuts combines a calorie-free powdered monk fruit sweetener, tapioca starch (or corn starch), vegan buttery spread (or unsalted butter), and unsweetened almond milk (any milk will do). Oh, and a dash of pure vanilla extract! It’s so so good.
Here’s the printable recipe for these delicious vegan Gingerbread Protein Donuts! I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try them 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Gingerbread Protein Donuts (Vegan)
- 1/2 cup (60g) vegan protein powder* I used LIV Body brand in Snickerdoodle, use code NOEXCUSES for 20% off
- 1/2 cup (60g) gluten-free baking flour* or gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup calorie-free sweetener* I used one that's twice as sweet as sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed*
- 6 tbsp warm water*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce*
- 1 1/2 tbsp molasses
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegan buttery spread* melted
- 1/4 cup powdered calorie-free sweetener* like Swerve confectioner's or Lakanto powdered sweetener
- 2 tsp tapioca starch* or corn starch
- 2 tsp unsweetened almond milk*
- 1 tsp vegan buttery spread* melted
- 1/8 tsp pure vanilla extract
*See blog post above for more substitutions.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (through cloves) in a medium mixing bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine flaxseed and warm water and let soak for a minute.
- Add flaxseed and water to dry ingredients, plus remaining wet ingredients (applesauce, molasses, buttery spread). Dough should be thick.
- Spoon dough into six lightly greased wells of a donut pan (can also use a muffin pan).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until soft but a toothpick inserted comes out clean (check at 15 minutes if using whey or casein).
- While donuts cool, combine icing ingredients. Spread over donuts and place in the fridge for best results! Will keep in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.