GLUTEN FREE STUFFED CREPES
Crepes are one of those things that seem fancy but are super easy! In fact, I find them easier to make than pancakes. These Gluten Free Stuffed Crepes make a classy (but healthy) brunch option everyone will love! I mean, tender vanilla crepes, chocolate cream filling, fresh juicy pomegranates, dark chocolate drizzled on top… what’s not to love 😉
Did you know? Pomegranates contain two powerful nutrients: punicalagins and punicic acid. Punicalagins are extremely potent antioxidants (three times as effective as red wine or green tea); while punicic acid is a form of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). This fatty acid appears to assist fat burning and weight loss in various human trials. (source)
To make these gluten free crepes, you just need gluten-free baking flour, calorie-free sweetener, cartoned egg whites, unsweetened almond milk (any milk will do), buttery spread, and vanilla extract.
If you don’t have gluten-free baking flour, you can use all-purpose flour, brown rice flour, cake flour, cassava flour (Paleo), oat flour (oats blended into flour), sorghum flour, spelt flour, tiger nut flour or whole wheat pastry flour.
To sweeten these crepes, I used my favorite organic stevia-erythritol blend. It’s twice as sweet as sugar (a bag last a lot longer) with no bitter aftertaste. If using baking stevia, granulated erythritol, or granulated sugar, you may need up to twice as much (four teaspoons).
Instead of dairy butter, I used a vegan buttery spread; but you can use unsalted butter or vegetable oil if you prefer.
Filling & topping suggestions
The chocolate cream filling is just dairy free yogurt, calorie-free sweetener, and unsweetened cocoa powder. For the higher protein macros listed below, use nonfat plain Greek yogurt.
Finally, I topped my crepes with some melted dairy-free chocolate chips and fresh pomegranates arils. So yummy!
Here’s the printable recipe for these Gluten Free Stuffed Crepes. I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try them 🙂
This post contains affiliate links.
Gluten-Free Stuffed Crepes
- 1 cup (140g) gluten-free baking flour*
- 2 tsp. calorie-free sweetener*
- 1/4 tsp. salt optional
- 1 cup cartoned egg whites or 4 whole eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk* or milk of choice
- 2 tbsp. buttery spread* melted
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt can use dairy-free
- 1-2 tbsp. calorie-free sweetener* use powdered for a smoother texture
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 15 g dark chocolate melted
- 1/4 cup fresh pomegranate arils
- Whisk together flour, sweetener and salt.
- Add egg whites, milk, melted buttery spread and vanilla; whisk until you get a smooth thin, batter.
- Let batter rest for 10-20 minutes while you quarter pomegranate and pick out arils.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and coat with cooking spray or more buttery spread.
- Add 1/4 cup batter to skillet and quickly tilt in a circular motion so that batter spreads over the bottom in a thin layer.
- Cook 30 seconds on the first side, then flip and cook 10 seconds on the second side. Repeat for remaining crepes.
- Combine filling ingredients and divide down the center of two crepes, rolling up gently on plate.
- Top with melted chocolate (heat in microwave for 30 seconds) and pomegranates. Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.