MOCHA CHIP PROTEIN ZOATS (ZUCCHINI OATMEAL)
Have you ever tried zucchini in your oatmeal? Believe it or not, these Mocha Chip Protein “Zoats” (aka zucchini oatmeal) are as delicious as they are filling! I will never complain about chocolate and coffee together (two of my favorite things hehe), and the rich mocha flavor perfectly complements the “earthy” flavor of the zucchini. The grated zucchini also adds extra volume and a wonderful velvety texture! If you’re still uncertain about the zucchini, remove the green peel to minimize the flavor (doing this will also remove a lot of the nutrients, unfortunately). Another tip is to grate your zucchini as fine as possible and simmer for awhile so the flavors meld together!
Did you know? Zucchini is botanically classified as a fruit (although we know it as a veggie) – and one cup of zucchini offers 40% of your daily Vitamin A!
Protein powder recommendations
For this recipe, I used LIV Body Lean Vegan Protein in Chocolate Mocha, which is my favorite plant-based protein. It tastes delicious, is dairy-free and gluten-free, non-GMO, and has no artificial ingredients! You can use my code NOEXCUSES for 20% off all LIV Body products.
Of course, you can use another brand or type protein powder, so long as it’s a complementary flavor, such as chocolate or mocha. I’m just partial to LIV Body because I can’t do whey and most vegan protein powders taste like chalk! Do not add the protein until you’ve removed your saucepan from the heat, as some protein powders (particularly whey isolate) clump upon heating.
Sweetener is optional, but I like things on the sweet side so I added some of my favorite calorie-free organic stevia blend. You can use any sweetener you like, or leave it out if you think it’s sweet enough as is! Keep in mind that adding sugar, honey, or maple syrup will increase the calories, carbs and sugar.
The only other ingredients are oats (duh), brewed coffee, almond milk, egg white, and cocoa powder. Feel free to use certified gluten-free oats if needed, or decaf coffee if you’re caffeine sensitive. The almond milk can be substituted for oat milk, cashew milk, rice milk, dairy milk, whatever you have, and the egg white is optional (it just adds fluff and extra protein). Look for fair trade cocoa and fair trade coffee to ensure workers across the globe receive a fair wage and safe work conditions.
Here’s the printable recipe for my Mocha Chip Protein Zoats (Zucchini Oatmeal). I’d love your feedback if your try it!
This post contains affiliate links and is sponsored by LIV Body.
Mocha Chip Protein “Zoats”
- 1 cup zucchini grated fine
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- Dash salt optional
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup (30g) chocolate or mocha protein powder I used LIV Body Lean Vegan Protein (code "NOEXCUSES" for 20% off)
- 2 tbsp. (1 large) egg white omit for vegan
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. calorie-free sweetener optional
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract optional
- 1 tbsp. almond butter or hazelnut butter
- 1 tbsp. dark chocolate chips can use dairy-free
- Finely grate one cup of zucchini (about 1 medium). Peel first for less “earthy” flavor, leave peel for more nutrients. No need to squeeze out excess liquid.
- Add grated zucchini, oats, brewed coffee, and a dash of salt to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in milk, protein powder, egg white (optional), sweetener (optional), cocoa powder, and vanilla (optional).
- Remove from heat after 1-2 minutes, or after desired thickness is achieved.
- Serve topped with dark chocolate chips, nut butter, or whatever other toppings your heart desires!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.