MOZZARELLA ASPARAGUS & LEEK EGG MUFFINS
These Mozzarella Asparagus & Leek Egg Muffins make a great “grab-and-go” breakfast option or brunch appetizer. They’re low in carbs and packed with protein and vegetables to keep you full for hours… and only 100 calories per muffin! If you’re dairy-free, use vegan mozzarella and dairy free ricotta, or simply omit the cheese (won’t be as tasty).
Did you know? Dietary cholesterol found in eggs doesn’t necessarily raise blood cholesterol. In fact, for 70% of people, eating eggs has no effect on blood cholesterol. For 30% of people (dubbed “hyper-responders”), eating eggs mildly increases total blood cholesterol as well as LDL cholesterol. (source)
Now, back to these egg muffins and how to make them.
For my veggies, I chose asparagus and leeks because they’re in season right now, but you can use any veggies you prefer! If you can’t find leeks, then feel free to substitute shallots or sweet yellow onion. Zucchini or broccoli would be a delicious alternative to the asparagus, too!
After you’ve washed, chopped and sautéed your veggies, beat together eggs, egg whites, and low fat cottage cheese. Ricotta cheese would also work, but it’s higher in fat (again, you can use dairy free ricotta). Greek yogurt works okay, but doesn’t add the richness in flavor that the cottage cheese does. Don’t forget your spices! I used salt, pepper, basil and just a bit of nutmeg (sounds weird, but nutmeg is divine in egg dishes!)
For the cheese, I used mozzarella cheese (dairy-free!), but you could also use feta or goat cheese for similar macros. I bet gruyere or aged white cheddar would add great flavor, too!
Here’s the printable recipe for these Mozzarella Asparagus & Leek Egg Muffins! I’d love for you to leave a comment below if you try these 🙂
This post contains affiliate links.
Mozzarella Asparagus & Leek Egg Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup asparagus trimmed and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 cup leeks white part only or shallots, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh garlic minced
- Cooking spray optional
- 6 large whole eggs
- 3/4 cup (6 large) egg whites
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese or ricotta can use dairy-free
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg optional
- 1 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese can use dairy-free
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Generously coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Sauté chopped asparagus, leeks, and garlic in skillet until asparagus is crisp-tender and garlic is fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- While veggies cool, beat together whole eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese (or ricotta), spices, and 3/4 cup of mozzarella (or cheese of choice) until frothy.
- Lightly coat cups of a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray (use silcone liners if your nonstick isn't in good condition) and divide sautéed vegetables between cups.
- Pour egg mixture over vegetables, dividing evenly between cups.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese (2 tbsp. per muffin).
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy warm right away or store in the fridge to serve later.
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week, or in the freezer up to one month.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.