PROTEIN APPLE CRISP (FOR ONE)
This Protein Apple Crisp for One has warm sweet-tart apples, rich flavors of brown sugar and butter, and a crunchy oatmeal streusel on top. Perfect with melty vanilla ice cream! Did I mention it’s healthy and under 200 calories for the whole thing? You know what that means… no self control needed! This is one of those recipes I make over and over.
Did you know? Apples are a great source of soluble fiber, which is good for your heart! Soluble fiber binds cholesterol and helps your body to excrete the excess, helping prevent atherosclerosis. (source)
Protein powder substitutions
To up the protein content, I added two tablespoons of protein to the crumble. You can use any protein you like in this recipe, but I used LIV Body Lean Vegan Protein in Snickerdoodle flavor, a delicious pea protein isolate with no artificial ingredients! This brand also contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and added probiotics and digestive enzymes to enhance gut health and improve digestion. You can use my code “NOEXCUSES” for 20% off all LIV Body products!
You can also use a whey blend or whey concentrate (NOT whey isolate). Unflavored protein powder actually works awesome in this recipe, but you can also try cinnamon, vanilla or another complementary flavor. If you don’t have protein powder, use two tablespoons of gluten-free oat flour 😉
For the sweetener, I used a sugar-free, monk fruit brown sugar alternative. The brown sugar flavor really gives that classic apple crisp experience! Other options include Sukrin Gold, Lakanto Golden, or Swerve Brown Sugar. You can also substitute half as much Truvia or Splenda brown sugar blend, but this will add some calories and sugar!
Though it won’t taste quite the same, you can also use baking stevia, granulated erythritol, monk fruit blend, or any granulated sugar like coconut sugar. Use three tablespoons of sweetener if using unflavored protein powder or flour.
I didn’t use flour for this recipe, just gluten-free rolled oats. You can use regular rolled oats or even quick oats. If you’re grain free, you can use 2-3 tablespoons of almond flour in place of the oats!
I also used vegan buttery spread, but you can also use light buttery spread to lower the fat, or regular unsalted butter. Unsweetened applesauce replaces some of the butter and lowers the fat content, but if you’re not worried about that just use two tablespoons of buttery spread or butter.
PS… the lemon juice is optional, but it enhances the tartness of the apples.
This incredible dessert is best served hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I used So Delicious Cashew Milk Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert in Very Vanilla)! Yumm.
Here’s the printable recipe for this Protein Apple Crisp for One. Hope you enjoy! I’d love your comment below if you try this 😉
This post contains affiliate links and is sponsored by LIV Body.
Protein Apple Crisp (For One)
- 1/2 cup apple sliced thin
- 2 tsp. calorie-free brown sugar alternative* I used Lakanto Golden
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice optional
- Dash cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. (15g) cinnamon, vanilla, or unflavored protein powder* I used LIV Body brand, use code "NOEXCUSES" for 20% off
- 2 tbsp. rolled oats* can use gluten-free
- 2-3 tbsp. calorie-free brown sugar alternative* I used Lakanto Golden
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. light buttery spread* or vegan buttery spread, unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened applesauce*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice a medium apple into thin slices, using 1/2 cup for this recipe.
- Toss apple slices with lemon juice, brown sugar alternative (or any calorie-free sweetener), and cinnamon.
- Layer sliced in the bottom of a 7"x5" baking dish or medium ramekin lightly coated with cooking spray.
- Combine protein powder, oats, brown sugar alternative (or any calorie-free sweetener), and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.
- Cut cold vegan buttery spread (or butter) and applesauce into dry mixture using a fork, then spread over sliced apples.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp on top.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (optional, but recommended). Enjoy!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.