SOUTHWEST CHICKEN LETTUCE WRAPS
If you’re looking for a fresh, flavorful meal the whole family can enjoy, look no further! These southwest chicken lettuce wraps are brimming with fajita chicken, diced tomatoes, corn, black beans, and creamy avocado. The pictures definitely don’t do justice to how tasty these were – the kids were begging for more 😉 You might also like my Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps or my Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps!
Did you know? To be labeled “organic,” chicken must be fed organic food (grown without chemical pesticides), not be administered antibiotics and be given “access” to the outdoors (which sometimes is very limited!). Only the Certified Humane “Pasture Raised” label ensures the chickens freely roamed open pasture year round.
I used organic “pasture-raised” ground chicken here, but you could also use diced grilled chicken, ground turkey, or meatless crumbles. I first browned the ground chicken and onion in a skillet with avocado oil. Avocado oil or coconut oil is best for medium-high heat, as they’re more heat-stable than olive oil. Next, I added my black beans and canned corn to the skillet, and seasoned everything with fajita seasoning!
I’ve found Boston, bib, or butter lettuce works best for lettuce wraps, but romaine works in a pinch! I always wash my lettuce and pat dry before filling. My toppings of choice were diced avocado, diced tomato, fresh cilantro, Greek yogurt and lime. Feel free to add some guac, salsa, sour cream, or shredded cheese if desired.
Here’s the printable recipe for these Southwest Chicken Lettuce Wraps – I hope you’ll rate and comment below if you try it 😉
This post contains affiliate links.
Southwest Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil*
- 2 lbs. lean ground chicken* or grilled chicken or ground turkey
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 15 oz. canned diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 15 oz. canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned sweet corn drained
- 4 tsp. (2 packets) fajita seasoning
- 24-30 large lettuce leaves bib, boston, romaine
- 12 oz. (3 medium) avocado diced
- 6 tbsp. lime juice about 3 limes
- 2 cups diced tomato diced
- 12 oz. nonfat plain Greek yogurt
*See blog post for substitutions.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add ground chicken and diced onion. Cook ground chicken until browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add fajita seasoning and half a cup of water; simmer and stir until evenly coated, about 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes with green chiles, black beans and corn; cooking until heated, about 5 minutes.
- Wash and dry lettuce leaves with a paper towel.
- Fill 4-5 lettuce leaves with one sixth of mixture (approx. 8 ounces) for one serving.
- Top with avocado, tomato, fresh cilantro, and Greek yogurt, or toppings of choice.
- Store leftover filling and lettuce in the fridge in separate airtight containers up to one week.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.