TACO TURKEY STUFFED PEPPERS
These Taco Turkey Stuffed Peppers are perfect for when you’re craving tacos but want something a little more filling. Think taco-seasoned turkey with sweet corn and black beans, stuffed inside a perfectly roasted pepper and smothered with melted cheese. Yumm 🙂 This is definitely a meal prep staple I make again and again. Not only is it delicious, but it’s pretty darn easy too! Feel free to use a vegan cheese like VioLife to make these dairy-free, or sub the turkey for meatless crumbles to make this vegan.
Did you know? Turkey meat is a particularly rich source of B vitamins, including B3 (niacin), B6 (pyridoxine), and B12 (cobalamin), B1 (thiamine) and B2 (riboflavin). The B vitamins play critical roles in energy metabolism and nutrient transport!
To start with, I brown 93% lean ground turkey in a skillet with chopped onions. Then, I add two packets of taco seasoning with water per the package instructions. Feel free to use ground beef if you prefer, or go vegan using meatless crumbles, crumbled tempeh, or and extra two cans of black beans.
While my taco turkey is cooking, I wash my bell peppers and prepare them for stuffing. I like to lay each pepper on its side to find a natural base, then cut in half lengthwise (stem to butt). Then, I spoon out the seeds and white flesh inside, rinse out any remaining seeds, and lay them cut-side-up on a baking sheet lined with parchment. I like to pre-roast my peppers at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes because this prevents the stuffing from getting over-cooked.
Once the turkey is done cooking, I combine it in a large bowl with some canned organic diced tomatoes (with no salt added), canned organic black beans, and canned organic sweet corn. You can add some fresh cilantro too if you like!
Then, I divide this mixture between my pre-roasted pepper halves, and bake for another 15 minutes!
After 15 minutes, I pull the pan out of the oven and top each stuffed pepper half with a tablespoon of shredded cheese (again, can use vegan cheese), and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
These keep great in the fridge for up to one week. Just reheat in the microwave for a couple minutes and enjoy. Even after eating these all week I can honestly say I am not sick of these yet… they’re just too good!
Here’s the printable recipe for these Taco Turkey Stuffed Peppers! If you happen to try these, and let me know whatcha think in the comments 😉
Taco Turkey Stuffed Peppers
- 24 oz. 93% lean ground turkey or ground beef, meatless crumbles, crumbled tempeh
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 6 tbsp. (1 packet) reduced sodium taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 1/2 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup canned sweet corn drained
- 6 large bell peppers assorted colors
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Mexican cheese or vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash bell peppers, lay on side to find natural base, then cut in half lengthwise (stem to butt). Scoop out seeds and white core, then rinse out any remaining seeds.
- Arrange pepper halves cut-side-up on a baking sheet lined with parchment (optional) and bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brown ground turkey and chopped onion in a skillet over medium-high heat until no pink remains (can also use ground beef or crumbled tempeh).
- Add taco seasoning and half a cup of water; simmer 5-10 minutes over medium low heat.
- Combine cooked turkey with black beans, sweet corn, and diced tomato in a large mixing bowl.
- Spoon mixture into pre-roasted pepper halves and press down.
- Bake stuffed peppers for 15-20 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Remove from oven, top each half with a tablespoon of shredded cheese, then bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Enjoy!
- Leftovers will keep in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week (just reheat in the oven or microwave).
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.